Self-Care Isn’t Selfish: 5 Simple Tips to Enhance Your Mental Health
October 10th is World Mental Health Day, and we're breaking down why you should consider self-care as a priority and not a luxury. Self-care has been shown to improve happiness and increase energy while simultaneously decreasing feelings of stress and burnout. Here are some small daily practices to stay in tune with your mental health and encourage you to take some time to focus on yourself.
- Prioritize & Set Goals - Think of not only how far you have come, but how many amazing things that lie ahead. What do you see for yourself, and how can you set small, attainable daily goals to get there? Even if that goal is to take a day off to reset, which brings us to our next tip.
- Take Time to Rest - While action and dedication are keeping you motivated for your long-term goals, it is just as important to take a step back and partake in a mental reset. If you find yourself frustrated or uninspired in life (career, health journey, relationships, etc.) take a step away and detach for a moment. Sometimes turning your brain off and relaxing is just what you need to light that spark back up and come back refreshed, rejuvenated, and inspired.
- Take Care of Your Body - Yep, it's totally straightforward, but a healthy body usually leads to a healthy mind - and we don't just mean going to the gym. While moving your body on a regular basis is ideal for both mental and physical health, we’re also talking about drinking plenty of water, getting enough sleep, nourishing your skin, and getting outside to enjoy the fresh air. There are so many fun ways to take care of your body!
- Do What You Love - Sometimes it’s difficult to make time for hobbies and activities that you enjoy when you’re bogged down by day-to-day responsibilities and tasks. Don’t forget to make time for the things that YOU love to do, and not just the things you feel you need to do. Enjoy putting together a puzzle, listen to your favorite podcast, watch a movie, read a book, take a relaxing bath, do whatever it is that brings you joy!
- Be Social on Your Terms – While some of us recharge by being in social settings, others feel drained by constantly having a calendar packed with dinners and social outings, especially if you work in a highly social setting daily. If you need to say “no” to participating in certain events, don’t be afraid to do so. Be upfront and set boundaries, no need for excuses as to why you can’t make it. Your friends, colleagues, and family will absolutely understand that everyone needs a little “me time” occasionally.
Try these small but impactful tips to check in with yourself to align your mind and body and set yourself up for success!
Subscribe to get awesome blog content in your inbox.
Tips, tricks, and skincare advice from an experienced dermatologist.